Pages

Wednesday 3 January 2018

SMLJ - Day 2, Activity 1,2 and Bonus Activity,

Activity 1: A House or a Home?

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?


On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

My House has a front sliding door
But the Wharepuni has a bigger, wider and more detail door than mine
My House has stairs
But the Wharepuni has no stairs

A Wharepuni is more like a traditional Maori Maare, It’s has a powhiri, a tangi and more things in the Wharepuni. But my House it more insulated and kind of less detailed in the outside comparing it to the Wharepuni.

Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland because I would love to become a travel blogger and photographer one day.

.
Bonus Activity: Special Meals

Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum!


On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!

Image result for mac and cheese
My Favourite food is Macaroni and cheese, the reason why I’ve chosen this as my favourite meal is because I like the taste of it and when you chew you can taste all the different flavour and it’s just delightful.

BONUS POINTS: 8

Also sorry for posting up this blog because I’ve been busy during the holidays.

5 comments:

  1. Hey there Danny, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. It's great to see you've been completing activities. Happy new year!

    Yum macaroni and cheese is one of my favourite meals too. I love how simple and delicious it is. I especially like it with some bacon.

    It's a really comforting meal especially in winter time or when it is cold.

    What sort of sweet foods do you like?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy for your comment, thank you for keeping up with my work that I've been posting up.

      My favourite sweet food is Cookie and Cream cheese cake. What's your favourite sweet food.

      Thanks, Danny

      Delete
    2. Thanks for asking, I definitely love chocolate and ice cream. I like most sweet foods actually.

      Did you have any sweet food on Christmas Day?

      Billy

      Delete
  2. Hi Danny,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working on these activities. Well done!

    Activity 1: Good job. Those are some great similarities and differences. I like how you have talked about the wharepuni being decorated on the outside with carvings. Do you know why they have carvings on the wharepuni? It would be great to find that out!

    Activity 2: That's awesome! What a cool thing to want to be! I know nothing about cars so I need people like you who can fix my car for me. It's great that your main motivation is so that you can help people, I think that's very important.
    Are there any cars in particular that you would like to work on or would you work on any car?

    My dream job is to be a teacher. I was inspired by my Mum because she is a teacher too and always seems to have a lot of fun with it. Has anyone inspired you to want to be a mechanic?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer. Keep up the great work! :)
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Danny,

    Congrats on finishing this activity!

    Your Poster on becoming a Car mechanic was really cool.Who influenced or inspired you on becoming an Car Mechanic? I always thought you would be a basketball player,as you always play basketball at school!

    Like you I also enjoy Macaroni and Cheese.It is really delicious.Maybe next time you could add more information into your paragraph's.It sure would make your work better! Well,Keep up the Hard Work Danny.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.