Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

SMLJ Activity 1 - Day 1 2017


It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.

Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

I’ve read a short story that was based on Maui. Here are 3 facts that I’ve learnt about Maui.

  1. Maui always wanted to go Fishing with a his brothers
  2. Maui caught a giant fish
  3. Maui is the best fisherman

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Danny,

    Welcome back to the Summer Learning Journey blogging programme for 2017-2018. It's great to have you back! It's also great to see that you have completed the first activity for the programme. I enjoyed reading about Maui when I was designing this years' version because he was someone who I knew very little about.

    Did you know anything about Maui before you did this activity? It sounds like he was a great fisherman. Have you ever been fishing before? I've never tried it but it's something that I would like to do one day soon...

    All the best,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Danny
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    I bet you have learned numerous of things after you've finished lesson am I right. This such fantastic work. What was your favourite part about this activity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Danny,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Thanks for sharing these three interesting facts about Maui. He certainly does sound like a great fisherman if he was able to catch a giant fish! I always enjoyed hearing the story of Maui and the Sun. Have you heard of this Maui legend before? I'll add a link to a video of it so you can watch the story.

    Maui and the Sun link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtkeL_nWC0&t=68s

    It'd be great to hear back from you about whether or not you enjoyed watching Maui and the Sun. What was your favourite part?

    It is great to see you have made a start to the Summer Learning Journey! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.